Thread: Why doesn't Ubuntu Update SNAPs during reboot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.10 Kinetic Kudu

Question Why doesn't Ubuntu Update SNAPs during reboot

I have found it necessary every time it is suggested that I reboot to issue the command "sudo snap refresh". If I do not do that then the various snaps will not be up to date. Since like many users I spend much of my day accessing services through a browser the updates to the Firefox and Chrome browsers will be held up,

Why does the Ubuntu reboot process not automatically invoke snap refresh while there are guaranteed to be no conflicts with running processes, and the reboot has root authority?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Why doesn't Ubuntu Update SNAPs during reboot

I used to use:
    Code:
     snap changes
    That will shed some light.
    Post that back here to see.

But I may not be of any more help to you, because I killed snapd, and all that goes with it......R.I.P Snaps
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.10 Kinetic Kudu

I sympathize with fellow users who dislike Canonical's use of snaps or would prefer they move to flatpaks. However I also understand that they are making this move because it is desired by their paying customers. I have the freedom to switch to other Debian distros, such as Mint, but Canonical's behaviour is not annoying enough to justify the effort after almost a quarter century since I first installed Ubuntu from a PC Magazine DVD. I want a way to move forward, not sideways or backwards. So I choose to suggest that Canonical can improve their support of snaps.

$ snap changes
    ID Status Spawn Ready Summary
    494 Done today at 15:46 EDT today at 15:48 EDT Refresh snap "firefox"

This is a consequence of my issuing "sudo snap refresh" today after the recommended reboot.

Why do I have to manually issue "sudo snap refresh"?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by 7-webmaster View Post

Why do I have to manually issue "sudo snap refresh"?
    Best place to ask: https://forum.snapcraft.io/t/i-canno...snaps/23690/12

BTW I need no sympathy, I could not be happier.
    Last edited by 1fallen; 1 Week Ago at 10:20 PM.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Odd, I was supposed to reboot after patching on Saturday morning, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
    Code:
    $ uptime
     17:06:51 up 26 days,  8:13,
    I have a few snaps, but I control when they are allowed to update - only on Saturdays, which usually means a little after midnight local time. If I could, I'd prevent all automatic snap updates from happening. I prefer for updates not to happen when they are inconvenient to me or users. That means never during a weekday. I've disabled all alerts/nags.

You don't need to reboot until you are ready. If you don't like the nags, disable them. Get into the habit of patching only 1 day a week, when it is most convenient for you and your workflows. Nothing prevents that.

Code:
    # ##############################################
      #   Prevent 4x a day snap update checks.
      sudo snap set system refresh.timer=sat
       Much more snap update and retention is here:
       Https://snapcraft.io/docs/keeping-snaps-up-to-date
    Keep only 2 copies of a snap, not 3 or more
    Code:
    # Keep only the current and last version of a snap # snapd v2.34
      sudo snap set system refresh.retain=2
      Https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/04/how-to-remove-old-snap-versions-to-free.html
    If you want to prevent a specific snap from updating,
    Code:
     $ snap refresh --hold firefox
    I've tried this with some big, complex, server snap packages and it doesn't seem to work, but perhaps that's a problem on my side. IDK.

To old all snaps from updating ...
    Code:
     $ snap refresh --hold
    I need to see if this actually works.
    Code:
     $ snap refresh --unhold
    to allow updates. It could be the answer to my snap i-want-to-update-all-the-time problem.

Those notes might be helpful to you as well.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The GUI utility Software Updater should run apt update; apt upgrade; apt autoremove and snap refresh.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530